Yes…this is the kind of cupcake that casts an evil spell over you. At the midnight hour you will sneak out of bed and tip-toe to the kitchen. But don’t be surprised if you’re not the only one making a midnight raid on the refrigerator.
Midnight in the Kitchen of Good and Evil Cupcakes
Makes: About 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup unsweetened Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
1 cup boiling water
24 strawberries, for garnish
Ingredients for Whipped Cream Frosting:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
Ingredients for Dark Hot Fudge:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions for Cupcake:
1. Position the oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat to 350°F. Line standard-size 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl of electric mixer, combine all dry ingredients, including chocolate chips.
3. Add milk, oil, sour cream, vanilla, and eggs. Mix on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Remove and very slowly add the boiling water; stir. At this point the batter will have thinned. No worries….. this is correct.
4. Fill prepared cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
Directions for Whipped Cream Frosting:
1. In a large mixing bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form.
2. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar.
3. Whip until stiff peaks form.
4. Frost cupcakes with a piping bag.
Directions for Hot Fudge:
In a medium saucepan, combine sugars, cocoa, flour, and salt in saucepan. Add milk, water, and butter. Cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, so the mixture does not scorch. Bring to a boil. Continue stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cool, then stir in vanilla.
1. Place frosted cupcakes in freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. This will freeze and harden the whipped cream frosting.
2. Drizzle cooled hot fudge over each cupcake.
3. Set a plump fresh strawberry on top of each cupcake.
4. Serve immediately. Any leftovers need to be refrigerated.